Not the most well known but I’m sure that most of you would have heard of Quora by now. Quora is essentially a Question-Answer network, where users can post questions, and the knowledgeable community can answer them. It’s populated by a big chunk of influencers (entrepreneurs, tech enthusiasts etc) and their advice is arguably a lot more accessible than on other channels.
When used effectively, Quora can be a good addition to your social strategy. Although it is a small network (compared to Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn) and is against overt marketing (it has a Wikipedia type attitude towards advertising), you can still leverage the network without violating the community’s rules and standards.
5 advantages of using Quora:
- You can build a pretty credible reputation within your topic or niche that will help people trust your recommendations and judgement.
- By answering questions, in an appropriate manner that helps the community, you can promote yourself as an expert in the topic. Users are able to see your company name & your role at the top of your answers so you also get a free opportunity to promote your brand name. If your answer is of high quality, you will get a lot of looks & potential shares for your brand.
- Quora offers great networking opportunities with influencers and early adopters. It is essentially a social network and people love to follow those who create great content.
- The opportunity to conduct market research on your target market.
- Free consultancy on various aspects of your business and marketing strategy from a whole host of experienced users.
How to make the most of Quora
- Update your bio and include information on your role in your company. Ensure you provide information on your interests to indicate that you take the site seriously.
- Start following people in your area. A bit of brown nosing never hurt anyone! 😉 Upvote and comment on their responses to the areas you know well. This can get into a conversation lead potentially to an offline meeting.
- Spend a few minutes each day to take a look at the questions relevant to you and decide if you can sufficiently answer any of them. Take time to construct your answer and share them with your network on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Sticking to answering one question a day with a decently constructed response can greatly enhance your credibility over time.
- When you need help with your strategy, don’t be afraid to ask a question, including the relevant experts in the field (using the “Ask an Answer” feature). Ensure you provide sufficient detail in your query and be polite! When you get a good answer, thank the poster.
- Always be honest about your connections with any companies about whom you are answering. Don’t be aggressive in pushing your product. Your focus should on reputation building rather than on cheap marketing tactics.